Andrew + Shubha | Meet the McClellands | Beautiful Backyard Wedding with Traditional Indian Vibes
Andrew and Shubha's wedding day was one I will never forget, and I'm sure they won't either. It was on a beautiful October afternoon at Andrew's grandmother's house in Bay Minette, Alabama. Shubha got ready in one of the back bedrooms with her sister and bridesmaids, and those were some of my absolute favorite moments. So much joy and laughter and excitement as they got ready for the big day.
I also loved that Shubha incorporated elements of her beautiful Indian heritage. From her red dress, to her bangles, to her wedding henna, there were so many gorgeous details that made the day special for so many reasons. I had no idea that each of these items were not only beautiful, but symbolized different things about their relationship and their wedding day. It was truly special to get to document them all.
- The color red is associated with love and passion, making it a beautiful choice for a wedding dress. It also symbolizes the rising sun and the start of a new day.
- Not only a beautiful adornment, bangles also signify good health and prosperity. Every color has a meaning. They are even put on in a particular order to maintain symmetry and balance!
- Mehndi (a.k.a. henna) is a paste painted on the bride's hands and sometimes feet, usually a day or two before the wedding. It is associated with positive spirits and good luck. It also has medicinal properties, creating a cooling effect that aids in soothing stress, headaches, and fevers!
- One of my favorite little details was the anklets that Shubha wore. They had little bells on them, so you could hear her coming and welcome her with respect. <3
- A Bindi is the small colored dot worn in the center of the forehead, which is considered the point at which creation begins. It was also her something blue.
And the groomsmen. Oh the groomsmen. What a fun bunch of guys. I could say more, but I will let the photos speak for themselves...Shoutout to my awesome second shooter Toni for capturing these shots of the guys!
One of my favorite parts of the day was the incredibly emotional First Look. Andrew looked like he couldn't even believe what he was seeing. She really was a sight to behold. They did however break up all the ooshy gooshy tear faces with a fun little game of patty cake. It was perfect.
Shubha and her bride squad were all absolutely beautiful as well. I loved their dresses so much...they were the perfect combination of elegance and class, with just the right amount of whimsy. And the colors went so well with Grandma's gorgeous back yard!
There were so many other sweet moments...like the way Shubha's dad looked at her during the family portraits, Andrew's reaction (again!) seeing Shubha walk down the aisle, the foot washing during the ceremony, or Grandmother holding on to her late's husband's photograph while watching her grandson get married...I could go on, but instead I'll just show you these moments and more through my lens. I hope you enjoy!